What is Respondus Monitor®?
Respondus Monitor is a companion application for LockDown Browser that uses webcam and video technology to record students during the online assessment process. It is often used for non-proctored testing environments. Instructors can utilize LockDown Browser without Respondus Monitor, however use of Respondus Monitor requires the use of LockDown Browser.
Instructors have the option to enable Respondus Monitor in addition to LockDown Browser within the Quizzes tool in TCU Online. When enabled, students are required to use a webcam and microphone with LockDown Browser.
TCU has acquired a campus license for Respondus Monitor through August 1st, 2022. After August 1st, 2022, licenses may be reserved for asynchronous distance learning courses. Instructors will then need to request permission to use Respondus Monitor from the Koehler Center via the TCU Online Support Form. Using Respondus Monitor without prior approval may result in your department being billed for charges. Thank you for your cooperation.
Instructor Tips and Best Practices
Add Information to Your Syllabus
Add Information to your Syllabus and Course Description
Select the relevant option below to generate sample text which can be used in your syllabus and/or course description. It explains that students will be required to use LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor, if applicable for their online quizzes. Replace any red text in brackets on the provided documents with your own information.
Create a Practice Quiz
We recommend that instructors create an initial practice quiz that requires the use of LockDown Browser. This can be a quick, ungraded, 1-question quiz as the main purpose is to ensure that LockDown Browser is installed and functioning on each student’s device. This will allow you to work with your students to resolve any issues prior to the major assessment, and will therefore help ensure that your first major assessment using LockDown Browser runs smoothly. Ideally, have students use the same computers/devices they’ll later use with the graded quizzes, including the same network/Wi-Fi environment. The latter is especially important if you plan to have a large number of students starting the quiz simultaneously from a Wi-Fi network.
Leave the practice quiz available for the duration of the course, with unlimited attempts, so students can access it again if they use a different computer or Wi-Fi network.
If a problem is encountered during the practice quiz, students can access the Help Center from the toolbar within LockDown Browser. From the Help Center, they can run a “Webcam Check” and “System & Network Check“. Additionally, they may search for a solution in the Knowledge Base, or start a live chat session with a Respondus Support agent.
Once students have completed the practice quiz, review the video results (if Respondus Monitor was used) to see if corrective actions are required for certain students (eg. poor lighting; the head isn’t positioned properly in the video frame, etc.).
Tips to Avoid Issues During a Quiz
- Create a Practice Quiz. See the section above for more information.
- Instructors should create and communicate an “emergency plan”, should the student run into a critical issue mid-exam. Consider if the student should exit the exam, communicate with the instructor (and how), document the issue, and how the instructor can allow a student to complete the exam if the issue cannot be resolved immediately (make-up exam, oral questioning, etc.). This goes a long way to alleviate student stress about remote exams!
- Ensure students are aware of both the Help Center and built-in troubleshooting and Live Chat. Both are explained on these pages, which can be shared with students.
- Share this test-taking tips page with your students.
Getting Started with Respondus Monitor for Instructors
Getting Help for Instructors
- The Koehler Center periodically offers workshops on using Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor. View our Events page for a list of currently scheduled workshops. You can also visit the Recorded TCU Online Webinars archive and watch the Respondus Monitor Webinar (approx. 13 min).
- Instructor Training Webinars are also available from Respondus.
Respondus Monitor is a companion to LockDown Browser. The Respondus Monitor software uses your computer’s webcam and microphone to record you while completing assessments in TCU Online. If your instructor has enabled Respondus Monitor in addition to LockDown Browser, your computer must have a functioning webcam and microphone in order for you to access the assessment. If you do not yet have LockDown Browser installed on your computer, you will be prompted to do so before accessing the assessment. Installing LockDown Browser on your computer also installs Respondus Monitor.
A system check will be conducted prior to the beginning of the assessment to ensure your webcam and microphone are working properly. You will also be required to show a photo ID and use the webcam to perform an environmental scan of your surroundings.
Getting Started with Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor for Students
- LockDown Browser & Monitor Quick-Start Guide – Students
- Chromebook users: Download & Install the LockDown Browser Extension.
- Test your webcam and microphone with Respondus
- Review the Test-Taking Tips page.