What is AirMedia?
AirMedia is an app for your laptop, tablet, or phone that allows you to wirelessly connect your device to the projector in a classroom. Laptops will display exactly what is on your laptop’s screen, as well as play video and sound. Tablets and phones will show static images, such as a .pdf or .jpeg. Watch the video above to see it in action.
How can AirMedia increase student-centered active learning and engagement?
AirMedia is a simple screen-sharing app that allows you more flexibility with the technology in your classroom. It offers students the opportunity to contribute and participate in new ways. Content students create in or outside of class can be quickly shared with their peers and give you real time feedback of their understanding.
When trying to decide which type of device you might want to use with AirMedia, there is one important distinction to be aware of. Laptops (PC & Mac) will allow dynamic display, which means it will mirror what is on your laptop, including your cursor, movement, video, and sound. For now, the app for tablets and phones allows static images such as a .pdf, .jpeg, or screenshot, which means there will be no sound or movement.
For basic instructions on using AirMedia, please read below.
- Visit the AirMedia homepage to download and install the app onto your device. You can choose one of the four options: Windows laptop, Mac laptop, Android tablet/phone, or IOS iPad/iPhone.
- Go to a classroom or study room that has AirMedia and turn it on. For questions about using the projectors or turning on AirMedia in a particular classroom, contact the Center for Instructional Services for a demonstration at 817-257-7121.
- Once you have AirMedia turned on in your room, launch the AirMedia app on your device. (If the laptop app gives you a message that says, “No Devices Found,” press “OK.” This is not an error message.) The AirMedia app will ask you for the IP address and code, which is found at the top of the projected screen in your classroom.
- Now share your content.
- On a laptop, your device may automatically show on the projector screen if you are the first one to log on. If there are others already using it, press “Play” to show your screen. Press “Stop” when you are done sharing. Press “Pause” to freeze what is shown on the screen so you can prepare content on your device before showing. Press “X” to close the app.
- On a tablet/phone, you will have the option to choose which type of content you would like to show: documents, photos, screenshots, or web browser. Choose what you would like to show, select it, and then press the “Play” icon that will appear on top of it. You can also press “Stop” to end showing your content.
Teaching with AirMedia
This workshop will train you to use AirMedia, a new wireless app that allows you or your students to project from laptops, tablets, or phones to the projectors in some classrooms. During this workshop you will download the app to your device(s), learn how to turn AirMedia on, and practice using it individually and in groups.
We will discuss best practices for using AirMedia to promote student-centered active learning and offer a range of examples you can use in your classroom. The final component will be offering pre-made information you can use to prepare your students.
The information below is provided to help direct you to technical support. Additional technical questions should be directed to the Center for Instructional Services (CIS). The Koehler Center staff is available to assist with incorporating AirMedia in your instruction.
Using AirMedia in the Classroom
- If you are having trouble with AirMedia during class, contact CIS for immediate assistance at 817-257-7121.
- If you need to report an issue after class, please fill out a CIS online help ticket.
Teaching with AirMedia
- We offer periodic workshops that highlight teaching with AirMedia.
- If you are unable to attend one of the workshops, we are happy to meet with you one-to-one by appointment. To schedule an appointment, please submit a One-to-One Consultation request.
AirMedia is an app for your laptop, tablet, or phone that allows you to wirelessly connect your device to the projector in a classroom or study room. Laptops will display exactly what is on your laptop’s screen, as well as play video and sound. Tablets and phones will show static images, such as a .pdf or .jpeg. Watch the video above to see it in action. Use these instructions to download AirMedia.
For help with downloading or using AirMedia, please contact the Center for Instructional Services at 817-257-7121 or fill out a CIS online help ticket.