What is iThenticate?
iThenticate is developed by Turnitin and is the leading provider of professional plagiarism detection and prevention technology used worldwide by scholarly publishers and research institutions. iThenticate is recommended for use by instructors and graduate students to ensure the originality of their written work before publication. It is useful for scenarios such as preparing and submitting grant proposals, preparing a thesis or dissertation, or publishing a research article. iThenticate helps editors, authors, and researchers prevent misconduct by comparing manuscripts against its database of over 60 billion web pages and 155 million content items, including 49 million works from 800 scholarly publisher participants of Crossref Similarity Check powered by iThenticate software.
iThenticate is designed for speed and ease-of-use so that academic researchers can quickly upload, check, and examine documents in just a few minutes. iThenticate is accessed through a web-based interface and requires little to no training. iThenticate helps researchers share documents and collaborate as groups. In-depth analytics provide visibility into content submissions and levels of originality over time.
Should I use iThenticate with my students?
This tool is for professional writers such as Instructors and Graduate Students, whereas Turnitin is designed for use with students in a classroom setting. Using Turnitin’s originality checking service as a teaching tool helps students build writing confidence and improve writing practices by taking ownership of their work and learning and practicing proper citation. Learn more about Turnitin.
Getting Started with iThenticate
- Submit the form to Request an iThenticate Account.
- Note: This tool is for Instructors and Graduate Students. If you are an undergraduate student and would like to review your work, typically Turnitin access is provided through your courses at the instructor’s discretion. If you have a special case, please have your instructor contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- When you receive your account info, login to iThenticate.com.
- Review the Get Started guide/video.
- Sign up for a webinar and review how-to videos, documentation, and FAQ.
File Types and Size
The file may not exceed 400 pages and the file size may not exceed 40 MB. iThenticate currently accepts the following file types for document upload:
- Microsoft Word® (DOC and DOCX)
- Word XML
- Plain Text (TXT)
- Adobe PostScript®
- Portable Document Format (PDF)
- Corel WordPerfect® (WPD)
- Rich Text Format (RTF)