What are Teaching and Learning Conversations?
Teaching and Learning Conversations (TLCs) are typically 50 minutes and provide an opportunity for discussions across departments and disciplines. A TLC often begins with a brief presentation before a time of discussion amongst participants and the TLC leader. TLCs may take different approaches—structured conversations about issues affecting higher education, directed discussions about new practices, or guided reflection that builds or sustains communities of practice. What would you like to discuss with your colleagues?
View the upcoming Teaching and Learning Conversation dates and times on our Events page.
Who can lead a Teaching and Learning Conversation?
Any TCU faculty or staff member can submit a proposal for a TLC. In addition to leading the 50-minute TLC, presenters are also asked to:
- compose a short (700–900 word) article summarizing the topic for publication in the Koehler Center’s biannual Insights magazine.
- record a three-minute video overview of the topic. The Koehler Center staff will work with you to record your video during the semester of your event.
We know time and knowledge is valuable, so The Koehler Center offers a small stipend of $200 upon completion of the TLC, and submission of the article and video. If multiple presenters are involved, the $200 can be divided as deemed appropriate by the presenters.
How do I propose a Teaching and Learning Conversation?
If you are interested in leading a TLC, please note the following deadlines and submit your proposal below. Please direct any questions you may have to KoehlerCenter@tcu.edu.
2021-2022 Information & Deadlines
- Proposals for TLCs will be accepted from April 16th – May 14th, 2021.
- Proposers will be notified by Wednesday, May 26th, 2021.
- If you are selected for a Fall 2021 event, Insights article is due Monday, October 4th, 2021 (for the Spring 2022 issue).
- If you are selected for a Spring 2022 event, Insights article is due Monday, March 7th, 2022 (for the Fall 2022 issue).
What happens if my proposal is accepted?
A Koehler Center staff member will reach out to coordinate workshop dates and times, and will be available to assist with reviewing materials and participant takeaways if desired.